Skip to main content

Risk Inspiration

Personal Jottings
By RK Rishikesh Sinha


The Government of India’s decision on restricting the entry of foreign-owned e-commerce portal in India came as a sigh of relief who are into online retailing. Lot many that includes me have been lucky with the Government’s policy that it has not fallen on them. 

Had it been the Government’s decision to allow the entry, what would have been my course of action? Was the risk running an electronic commerce sites gone dangerous to pursue? All these thoughts consume me. But as I step down the memory lane, the risk appear to be less dangerous than the one I had taken two years ago of quitting my job and set foot in a new course of life to create a new world for me. Two years ago in this month in 2009, I was working in an office; and today I don’t have office and those office hours. Instead, now my whole day and night is my office hours and my work more strenuous. But the difference is that I love it.  What prompted me to leave my job permanently? There are certainly lot of reasons that urged me to change my life path. I think, some of the reasons could be:

1. I am not the person to follow rules/regulations: Working many years, I found that I am not the person who is comfortable with rules and regulations, and hierarchy.
2. Missing ‘my’ feeling: I was not getting the feeling of ‘my job, my office, my post’ since all these are transitory. You are what your company is. So I had to plunge to create something of my own to have the feeling of ‘my’. Today I say this is my site, my business, my market, my employees.
3. Discovering oneself: There was an inner feeling in me that I am not exploring and discovering another side of my personality. Somewhere in humdrums of office culture, it remained hidden and I have to discover it. 
4. Pulling and Pushing: Besides the above three reasons, if there was something that really pushed me was my innate urge to lead my life in my own terms and conditions, and not in terms of others. I cannot give strings of my life to fancy wishes of others (superiors for promotion, increment). My life should be in my own terms, be what may be. The feeling was so strong that I didn’t take my last salary; I left it.  

Coming back to the Government’s decision, had it allowed foreign online retailing in India. I am assured that I would have given a fight. Moreover, presently there are big fishes in the market, and we small do exist and run our show with our agile tactics and maneuvers. Time is ticking. In few years the Government might allow FDI for foreign e-commerce sites to operate in India, and I have to be prepared to face the challenges from today with the same spirit of risk-taking. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Sadhu Thakur

By Ranita Sinha, Kolkata Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Thakur, the great saint of the Bishnupriya Manipuri Community was born on 26th October, 1871, in a remote village of Cachar district called Baropua in the state of Assam. He was born to a Xatriya Manipuri family. His father Sri Sanatan Pandit was a Sanskrit teacher and mother Srimati Malati Devi, a house wife. Sadhu Baba from his childhood was indifferent to all worldly happenings. He was engrossed in chanting the name of Lord Krishna. Along with other students of his age, Sadhu Baba started taking lessons of grammar and other spiritual literature from his father. At a very young age he lost his mother but he was brought up with utmost love and care by his step mother. At the age of eighteen, Sadhu baba lost his father, so, to continue his spiritual education under the guidance of Rajpandit Mineshwas Swarbabhwam Bhattacherjee, he went to Tripura. But within one year he made up his mind to visit all the holy places and as such he took permis

Assam Search Engine: Bisarok

Exclusive search engine on Assam Manash Pratim Gohain, TNN Jun 16, 2012, 01.46PM IST NEW DELHI: Assam got its own search engine ' Bisarok '. The search engine has been launched to get results exclusively on queries and information related to Assam. 'Bisarok', means 'to search' in Assamese language, has been launched and has been linked to various websites of the Government of Assam and departments, educational institutions and media. The search engine is likely to give a new online experience related to searches on Assam. Built on Google custom search engine, the search engine would be collating and building a database of web properties exclusively of the state in the North East region. 'Bisarok' has been developed by RK Rishikesh Sinha, who had earlier created a similar custom search engine ('Bisarei') on Bishnupriya Manipuri. According to Sinha, apart from Google there was no link to get results particularly on Assam. Any web entity related

A short history of the Bishnupriya Manipuri and their religio-cultural consciousness

Undoubtedly, the accurate period of the emergence or the development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuri is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted, writes Rini Sinha , Guwahati . Religious beliefs are found virtually in every human society. Religious beliefs usually relates to the existence and worship of a deity or deities and divine involvement in the universe and human life. Religious knowledge according to religious practitioners may be gained from religious leaders, sacred texts or personal revelation. The development of religion has taken many forms in various cultural communities. The accurate period of emergence or development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuries is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted. However, on the basis of the views of different scholars, pre-historic and historical remain whatsoever is available and from the logic of personal observations, we may put forward some view