Skip to main content

Of Lies and Deceit

By Rishikesh Sinha (a.k.a Pink Floyd)
Courtesy: North-East Indian

I have been pondering what is the toughest challenge a man faces in this extreme crazy globalized environment. I guess it is to live up to the expectation of being god’s greatest glory i.e. being human.

lies


In an increasingly competitive tough globalized world, our identity among our peers, friends or families is overwhelmingly defined by our economic success. No one has time for aesthetics. It is instant gratification and the amount of materialistic wealth that we can garner is all that matters.

Sadly, it is this darkening of our soul has made today’s simple common man (including yours truly) susceptible to lies and deceit as we have a convenient rational argument most everybody cheats or lies some time or the other.

I went through a wave of moral dilemma whether to cheat or not while attending a competitive examination. I kinda wondered whether it is fine to make an honest attempt and fail or make a dishonest attempt and succeed. On one hand, success attained by cheating gives no satisfaction while on the other hand a well deserved failure gives no satisfaction either.

Again I thought, cheating in one little test isn’t such a big deal. It does not hurt anyone and I am quite sure many other candidates are using unethical means and it is quite justified I try to out maneuver them using all and every means. But then I wondered, if I was rationalizing my lazy approach towards preparing for the exam.

Still in the big bad crazy world, people only care about success and not principles. Then again, that’s why the world is such an unhappy mess. What a dilemma. To do or not to do remained the eternal question……………..

Alas my painful ordeal came to an abrupt halt when I realized the exam time has gone past and I haven’t attempted any question. But on the brighter side my moral compass stayed intact and I floated on higher ground as I rationalized my escape from the ordeal with this lovely quote “The only way you will never be criticized is if you do nothing, say nothing or have nothing.” But my momentary bliss went downhill when a great modern thinker has added to the quote “you will end up being a big nothing.”

Image Courtesy

Comments

  1. Moral dilemma. "
    you will end up being a big nothing." great saying. I think one has to define and interpret the world in his or her way not with scripts, vedas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all love comments. It is moderated

Popular posts from this blog

The 'Star' Krishankant Sinha of Space City Sigma

By RK Rishikesh Sinha, New Delhi It is a myth that the all-knowing Internet knows everything. One such myth relates to old television stuff aired on Doordarshan before 1990. Search in Google “Space City Sigma”, the search engine would throw up reminiscent results from the people who still long for those days. Those days were really golden days. Krishankant Sinha in the role of Captain Tara in Space City Singma For those who have watched Doordarshan some 15 to 20 years back, am sure they will have nostalgic memories of it. The days when possessing a now ubiquitous looking television set was a luxury. It was a neighbour’s envy product. It was a visual product to showoff, to flaunt that we have a television set . Those were the days when black and white, locked television was rarely found in homes. The days became immortal for teleserials like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Swami’s Malgudi Days (Ta-Na-Na-Na…), Ek-Do-Teen-Char (Title song: Ek do teen char, chaaro mil ke saath chale to ...

Bishnupriya Manipuri Development Council: Few Pertinent Questions (Part I)

By Rebati Mohan Sinha On last 25th March 2010 there was an announcement in the floor of the House that the Government of Assam has agreed on principle to form three separate Social Economic Development Councils for Bishnupriya Manipuri, Nath Yugi and Maimal. And now the Cabinet Committee has given its nod. It will be placed in the House (not yet placed) and once it is passed, then a Ministerial Committee would consult the stake holders i.e. these three communities, regarding their aspirations and would send its recommendation accordingly to the Central Government for further action within the next two months. The two months time since been elapsed, even then the bill is yet to show its face in the House. The Ministerial consultation is quite far away. Why am I repeating the same thing now is because of a section of Bishnupriya Manipuri started quarreling for the share of so-called power, from now on, without knowing the outcome of the development which is taking place in the...

Smart Study

By Surajit Sinha, New Delhi All about studying Since all the competitive exams are based on multiple choice question patterns, I would suggest you to study in a CBSE curriculum especially if you are in north east. If you want to make it in IIT/Engineering start preparing from class VIII. If you want to make a career as a academician or a research/scientist then only enroll for a Bachelor of Science course. Otherwise wipe out these courses from your mind. For engineering aspirants it is best to enroll yourself to a coaching institute, which not only refine your skill but also give a boost to your confidence. if you are not good enough in studies, do not hesitate to join ITI (industrial training institute), believe me this will catch you a fortune in terms of your academic capability. Girls can opt for various vocational training courses offered by local vocational colleges. The latest in thing in studying is nano-technology, bio-technology, these two fields holds the future of industry...