Skip to main content

An Inborn thread.....

I felt a pleasant surprise and a peculiar euphoric sense ran over. Immediately I intended to ask them and disclose my identity. But suddenly I decided to stop and hear what more they say....

by BN Sinha, New Delhi

Henceforth, I came to Delhi I felt as if every year the winter days are getting more chilled. This year is really an exception. Though the mercury did not drip below 2 degrees yet the cold is unbearable and to attend a meeting early morning 45kms away is a matter one would never wish for.

I had to attend an on site meeting at 8.30am at Manesar, Gurgaon, approximately 45kms away from the place I reside. I woke up at 6 in the morning, to make sure to leave home by 7am. It was a foggy January morning. I was driving along NH8 towards Gurgaon.

The morning traffic was not so heavy as compared to the daytime traffic. I traveled almost 35kms in just 35mins. Only 10kms more was left and I knew it would take merely 15 more minutes to reach. So, I thought to pamper myself by having a cup of tea and a fag in a roadside dhaba. I stopped my car by a roadside chaiwala.

Few people were already there wearing heavy woolen cloths to save themselves from the cold, chatting and sipping hot tea. Me too, took a seat beside two guys who were busy chatting in a mixed and impure Hindi language.

From their conversation I came to know that they were going for an interview in a factory in Manesar. They were in their early twenties. The call centre cab, which they boarded, dropped them up to that point and they were looking for another cab to reach their destination.

As I finished my tea and about to leave, one dialogue between the duos compelled me to stop and give an instant look at them. One of them whispered " Hebania girok egore matia chaitang amare drop kore denarka bulia”. For a moment it seemed to me that everything stopped. To my surprise they were Bishnupriya Manipuri guys, precisely amar manu.

I felt a pleasant surprise and a peculiar euphoric sense ran over. Immediately I intended to ask them and disclose my identity. But suddenly I decided to stop and hear what more they say- if they approach me or not, as they seemed hesitant.

I deliberately stopped and asked the chaiwala for one more fag and started listening their dialogue. I heard one of them asking the other "B**go maatne ugore, dilojaarga hida". Other one replied using typical BM slang -" Lei***** putak ti maaten nuaror thang". I was literally enjoying their conversation like anything, as if more abusive words they use more fun for me.

Suddenly I realized it was already 8.15am, as I was running out of time I thought to give them a shock and asked, "Beyok gasi te kumpeir ta thang, kurang jitaiga kore". Their counter expression was just unexplainable- stunned.

The typical BM introduction took place for a while- "Dada te amar omukor, mite tumar gang or omukor, omukore chine thaibe etc etc.

Finally, I dropped them at their destination by exchanging phone numbers and with a promise to have a dinner at their place with a " jhal fakithomor paltoi baro hukon", the limited stock they carried from their village Japirbandh , Hailakandi…

I finally reached my venue at around 9am. I was late by more than half an hour. Despite feeling offended to be late, I was with an exulted sense, as if a smile had been cut and pasted on my face.

It was indeed an incident I would love not to forget ever since remembering that always brings a smile on my face and also to find a fellow BM in an alien land is something more than words can express.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THE BISHNUPRIYA MANIPURI BLOG.

Comments

  1. I read all the articles of Mr BN and find all very interesting but this one is the best. I also wish whenever I go out if I come across any BM guys but not yet lucky enough but you are a lucky person. I feel how you would have felt.

    Best of luck

    Rajesh Sinha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky enough to get a positive response from the guys u met..but i had a very sour experience and i fear to talk to any BM voluntarily..once i met a BM couple in the streets of Kolkata..They were speaking in BM..BUt the moment i asked them in our language from where they belong, they just ignored me and started to speak in Bengali..i really felt humiliated..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all love comments. It is moderated

Popular posts from this blog

Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Sadhu Thakur

By Ranita Sinha, Kolkata Sri Sri Bhubaneshwar Thakur, the great saint of the Bishnupriya Manipuri Community was born on 26th October, 1871, in a remote village of Cachar district called Baropua in the state of Assam. He was born to a Xatriya Manipuri family. His father Sri Sanatan Pandit was a Sanskrit teacher and mother Srimati Malati Devi, a house wife. Sadhu Baba from his childhood was indifferent to all worldly happenings. He was engrossed in chanting the name of Lord Krishna. Along with other students of his age, Sadhu Baba started taking lessons of grammar and other spiritual literature from his father. At a very young age he lost his mother but he was brought up with utmost love and care by his step mother. At the age of eighteen, Sadhu baba lost his father, so, to continue his spiritual education under the guidance of Rajpandit Mineshwas Swarbabhwam Bhattacherjee, he went to Tripura. But within one year he made up his mind to visit all the holy places and as such he took permis

Assam Search Engine: Bisarok

Exclusive search engine on Assam Manash Pratim Gohain, TNN Jun 16, 2012, 01.46PM IST NEW DELHI: Assam got its own search engine ' Bisarok '. The search engine has been launched to get results exclusively on queries and information related to Assam. 'Bisarok', means 'to search' in Assamese language, has been launched and has been linked to various websites of the Government of Assam and departments, educational institutions and media. The search engine is likely to give a new online experience related to searches on Assam. Built on Google custom search engine, the search engine would be collating and building a database of web properties exclusively of the state in the North East region. 'Bisarok' has been developed by RK Rishikesh Sinha, who had earlier created a similar custom search engine ('Bisarei') on Bishnupriya Manipuri. According to Sinha, apart from Google there was no link to get results particularly on Assam. Any web entity related

A short history of the Bishnupriya Manipuri and their religio-cultural consciousness

Undoubtedly, the accurate period of the emergence or the development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuri is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted, writes Rini Sinha , Guwahati . Religious beliefs are found virtually in every human society. Religious beliefs usually relates to the existence and worship of a deity or deities and divine involvement in the universe and human life. Religious knowledge according to religious practitioners may be gained from religious leaders, sacred texts or personal revelation. The development of religion has taken many forms in various cultural communities. The accurate period of emergence or development of religious consciousness of the Bishnupriya Manipuries is difficult to ascertain, but it is an old one that is undoubted. However, on the basis of the views of different scholars, pre-historic and historical remain whatsoever is available and from the logic of personal observations, we may put forward some view