Skip to main content

Importance of Being a Bishnupriya Manipuri

This is one aspect of my personality that I have EARNED earnestly being a Bishnupriya Manipuri by birth.

By Rishikesh Sinha, New Delhi


Being a Bishnupriya Manipuri is of earnest importance. That what I have found and I believe you all share the same view – that their lies an innumerable importance of being a Bishnupriya Manipuri, especially in a country like India which is a cauldron of innumerable religions, caste, dialects and languages, same with the physical characteristics of the people.

The physical characteristics of the people are as diverse, unique and abundant than compared to people of the whole world combined. We have got people who shares a similar physical characteristics that of Chinese – the northeastern, of West Asian countries – north India and of western countries – the Kashmiris.

I have found that I create more confusion than what I am in the minds of the opposite person. The best part of the complexity by default is that it changes with the point of contact. If I am near the bus stand or loitering in the periphery of restaurants and hotels, people mistook me with a Nepali kancha and they start communicating me with the Nepali language. That’s a sorry part but at the same time extremely amusing in nature since I have to explain them that I am not a Nepali Kancha but a Bishnupriya Manipuri! After hearing the name of the caste, it becomes their turn to scratch their mind to discover “which caste is it?”. I leave them to think, to ponder what I have said “I am a Bishnupriya manipuri”.

If I stretch further to the boardrooms, cafeterias of companies I have worked with, colleagues confidently passed the judgment of my caste or region I belongs to. Of course, every time they have been found wrong in their acquired perceptions about me; they without betting an eyelid pronounce - you are Garhwali, aren’t you?! And after hearing my true identification, I feel pity of their visible sorry face.

It has not happened once or twice but has happened many times though inadvertently. And every time I feel proud of myself being a Bishnupriya Manipuri, since I can confuse people, make them feel sorry of their pronounced confidence in the identification game.

And for those who do not give a damn to my looks and go for deciphering my surname “Sinha”. Answering them is an altogether experimental game. I am a Bihari, a Bengali and a Bishnupriya Manipuri. It is absolutely a free run to choose which goes the best at that particular moment. A suppressing smile flows wide in my mouth!

Many of my close friends have said that they have found many Bishnupriya Manipuri friends who are unmistakably as Assamese, Biharis, and Bengalis people are. They mean to say that we Bishnupriya Manipuri people are multi-lingual, absolutely polyglot; one can’t differentiate with the tone and tenor and the command over language we have with these people.

Coming to my brothers, my third brother, of his profession in the hospitality industry he is being connoted as a Philippine. Great! I turn into a Nepali and Garhwali and my brother to a resident of Philippines!! Well, about my dad, hmmm, he is being mistaken as a Bengali. And about my mom, it’s a well kept secret!! Next time, some other day it will be revealed.

This is one aspect of my personality [of course of yours as well] that I have EARNED earnestly being a Bishnupriya Manipuri by birth – creating tension and confusion!!??

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 'Star' Krishankant Sinha of Space City Sigma

By RK Rishikesh Sinha, New Delhi It is a myth that the all-knowing Internet knows everything. One such myth relates to old television stuff aired on Doordarshan before 1990. Search in Google “Space City Sigma”, the search engine would throw up reminiscent results from the people who still long for those days. Those days were really golden days. Krishankant Sinha in the role of Captain Tara in Space City Singma For those who have watched Doordarshan some 15 to 20 years back, am sure they will have nostalgic memories of it. The days when possessing a now ubiquitous looking television set was a luxury. It was a neighbour’s envy product. It was a visual product to showoff, to flaunt that we have a television set . Those were the days when black and white, locked television was rarely found in homes. The days became immortal for teleserials like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Swami’s Malgudi Days (Ta-Na-Na-Na…), Ek-Do-Teen-Char (Title song: Ek do teen char, chaaro mil ke saath chale to ...

Bishnupriya Manipuri Development Council: Few Pertinent Questions (Part I)

By Rebati Mohan Sinha On last 25th March 2010 there was an announcement in the floor of the House that the Government of Assam has agreed on principle to form three separate Social Economic Development Councils for Bishnupriya Manipuri, Nath Yugi and Maimal. And now the Cabinet Committee has given its nod. It will be placed in the House (not yet placed) and once it is passed, then a Ministerial Committee would consult the stake holders i.e. these three communities, regarding their aspirations and would send its recommendation accordingly to the Central Government for further action within the next two months. The two months time since been elapsed, even then the bill is yet to show its face in the House. The Ministerial consultation is quite far away. Why am I repeating the same thing now is because of a section of Bishnupriya Manipuri started quarreling for the share of so-called power, from now on, without knowing the outcome of the development which is taking place in the...

Smart Study

By Surajit Sinha, New Delhi All about studying Since all the competitive exams are based on multiple choice question patterns, I would suggest you to study in a CBSE curriculum especially if you are in north east. If you want to make it in IIT/Engineering start preparing from class VIII. If you want to make a career as a academician or a research/scientist then only enroll for a Bachelor of Science course. Otherwise wipe out these courses from your mind. For engineering aspirants it is best to enroll yourself to a coaching institute, which not only refine your skill but also give a boost to your confidence. if you are not good enough in studies, do not hesitate to join ITI (industrial training institute), believe me this will catch you a fortune in terms of your academic capability. Girls can opt for various vocational training courses offered by local vocational colleges. The latest in thing in studying is nano-technology, bio-technology, these two fields holds the future of industry...